If you’re like me, you rarely have time to eat a complete meal in the morning, or if you do, it feels rushed. Enter the genius concept of overnight oats. No longer will you feel frazzled as you try to prepare something healthy in the early hours of the AM, because you’re going to do it the night before (muah-ha-ha…that’s my attempt at evil laughing). These oats are packed with fiber from the oats, fruit, and chia seeds, along with some plant-based protein, and healthy fats.
Overnight Oats with Fruit, Chia Seeds, and Almond Butter
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, uncooked
- 2/3 cup soy milk or almond milk (or your favorite milk/nondairy milk)
- 1 tbsp. uncooked chia seeds
- 1/2 cup berries of your choice
- 1/4 to 1/2 of a banana
- (optional) sprinkle cinnamon
Directions *important- do this the day/night before you plan to eat this*
- In a mason jar or bowl, add oats, then soy milk (or other milk), and chia seeds, stir. If the oats still seem dry, add a little more soy milk (or other milk)
- Add fruit, and sprinkle cinnamon (if desired), stir mixture
- Cover the mason jar or bowl
- Transfer to the refrigerator and let sit for at least 10 hours (preferably 12)
- The next morning, uncover your oat creation and add a tablespoon of your favorite almond or other nut butter
This is a breakfast I’ve been eating lately and it makes my morning meal prep super easy because all I have to do is remove from the fridge and add a little AB (almond butter). The oats will be fluffy and ready to eat without microwaving, which makes this a great morning meal for the summer months (because who wants to eat a hot meal when its 90 degrees out. Not this girl!). I look forward to sharing more of my healthy meal ideas as soon as my spring semester winds down!