If you live in New York, this past weekend you were most likely stuck indoors due to the snow. This past weekend during the blizzard, I was supposed to be teaching my first donation-based yoga class, but that just wasn’t going to happen due to the weather, so my yoga class has been rescheduled for next month. If you read my last post about yoga, you know how excited I am about teaching this class! Getting back to being stuck inside, one of my favorite ways to pass the time when stuck inside is to cook. Or in my case, un-cook. I love kale and I especially love kale salads. The following kale salad will satisfy a crunchy craving and supply a good dose of healthy fats and fiber. It’s vegan, and if you use gluten-free soy sauce (tamari or shoyu) it can also be gluten free.
Crunchy Kale and Nut Salad
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side dish, 2 if served as a main dish)
- 4-5 cups kale, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 a cucumber, diced
- 1 carrot, shaved into slices or diced
- 1/2 cup slivered raw almonds
Dressing (makes several servings, refrigerate and save remaining dressing)
- 1/4 cup tahini (hulled sesame paste, can be found at most health food stores)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp. water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- For the salad, cut veggies and set kale in a large bowl. Massage olive oil onto kale using your hands so that the kale becomes softened. Add veggies and slivered almonds.
- For the dressing, measure and whisk together ingredients in a large bowl until uniform. Add 4 tablespoons of the dressing to the salad and mix with a large spoon. There will be a large amount of dressing leftover. Store the remaining dressing in a sealed cup or bowl and use within a few days.
- Share with friends and enjoy!