It's been a little while since I wrote a blog post and I'm excited to share why. I'm currently employed full-time during the week as a dietitian at a rehab center, working weekends as a dietitian at a hospital, AND managing to provide nutrition counseling to private clients through Vitamin Valentine Wellness--so I haven't been updating this blog as often as I used to. Although I'm super busy, I'm also happy to be getting so much experience as a new dietitian.
Having limited free time made me realize that I really need to prioritize self-care and focus on activities that help me unwind. One thing that's always helped me relax is baking. I love creating healthy baked goods that I can indulge in (healthily) after a busy day. The following recipe not only satisfies my craving for chocolate, but also packs a punch of protein, potassium, and fiber. Let me know how you like this recipe if you try it and feel free to leave a comment here or on my Instagram page @vitaminvalentine.
Chocolate Chip Protein Banana Bread
- 3 cups garbanzo bean flour (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)- if you don't have this flour or can't find it, feel free to swap it out for whole wheat flour, spelt flour, or your favorite gluten free baking mix
- 3 scoops Vega Vanilla Protein Powder (or your favorite plant-based protein powder)
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 6 oz. Kite Hill unsweetened greek-style almond yogurt (or use your favorite plant-based, dairy-free yogurt)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe's brand)
Preheat the oven to 370°F. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, protein powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, almond milk, almond yogurt, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, then add chocolate chips. Mix well until contents are uniform. Using non-stick spray, spray a 9x11 brownie tin or baking pan of your choice. Scoop out batter into the pan. Bake at 370°F for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool. Cut into squares (this recipe made 20 squares me for). Enjoy!
Leave a Reply