A few weeks ago, I made a delicious creamy soup using whatever vegetables I had in my kitchen. What I love about this soup is that although it tastes creamy, it has less fat than a cream-based soup and contains plant-based protein, fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin A. I've been perfecting the recipe, and I think I've finally found the perfect combination of ingredients. Feel free to try this out on a cold day, and feel free to add or omit any veggies depending on what's available to you.
Creamy Tofu and Veggie Soup
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 2 cups vegetable broth (I use store-bought broth. Check ingredients if you're following a vegan diet because some can contain animal products).
- 1.5 cups unsweetened, plain soymilk, or unsweetened plain ricemilk
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. safflower or almond oil
- ½ a standard block of firm tofu, cut into small cube shapes
- 1.5 cups of fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1 cup fresh, canned, or frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh, canned, or frozen carrots
- 1 medium potato, cut into smaller pieces (purple-skinned potatoes and yukon potatoes work great in this recipe)
- salt and pepper to taste
- a pinch of garlic powder
- a pinch of dried rosemary (omit if you don't care for this herb)
- Measure all ingredients
- On low-medium heat, use oil to grease a non-stick large pan or pot and lightly brown garlic and tofu cubes
- When tofu has browned slightly, add vegetable broth, soy milk, and potatoes to the pan or pot, simmer for about 5-10 minutes
- Add other veggies (broccoli, corn, carrots) along with garlic powder and dried rosemary. Add a bit of salt and pepper if you'd like
- Simmer on low heat until potatoes are soft. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and serve. Refrigerate the extra or share with a friend!
This is simmering on my stove right now. I didn't use rosemary and I'm going to add some fresh spinach when it's closer to being done, but otherwise it is your recipe straight up. Can't wait! There is nothing like homemade soup in the winter.
Jessie @ Vitamin Valentine
That sounds delicious! Enjoy 😊