I love a good protein bar, but I don't love paying up to $3 for a single serving bar that's often lacking in wholesome ingredients. This weekend I made my own protein bar that tastes like peanut butter cookie dough--and is packed with fiber, protein, and healthy fats. My version of the perfect protein bar uses Vega brand protein powder, and chickpea flour (the "secret" ingredient--clearly I'm not good at keeping secrets for long!). Let me know what you think if you try the recipe.
Vegan/Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Protein Bars
- ¾ cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour (I used Bob's Red Mill brand) Note: You can also use oat flour, which I've made too, if you prefer a more mild flavor
- ½ cup almond meal (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 3 scoops Vega Vanilla Protein Powder
- ½ cup natural, smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe's brand
- ¼-1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Mix all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) together in a large bowl, use your hands to mold into a dough. Line a pan/cooking tin with parchment paper and mold the dough into a layer. Then, using your hands, place the chocolate chips into the dough, pressing down so the chocolate chips become embedded in the mixture. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer, cut into squares, or rectangles and enjoy! I loved cutting these into tiny squares and putting them on PB toast and in my morning almond milk yogurt.