One great thing about summer is the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies that are available. Whether you get your produce from a farm stand, supermarket, or your own backyard, summer eating should be colorful and full of nutrition. Here's a simple summer recipe for beet and corn salad, which can be eaten on its own, or as a side dish. If you're heading to a barbecue, consider preparing a dish like this to impress your hosts and other dinner guests!
Simple Summer Beet and Corn Salad (serves 3-4)
- 1 large beet, or 2-3 medium sized beets (greens removed)
- ½ cup sliced onion
- ¾ cup corn
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil water
- As you're waiting, remove outer layer from the beets using a vegetable peeler
- If the beets are large, cut in half
- Boil the beets for about 25 minutes (or until soft)
- Remove corn from the cob, or if you're not using fresh corn, measure ¾ cup of corn and steam in the microwave
- In a saucepan, heat the ½ cup sliced onion on low heat
- Drain the beets when they're finished cooking, and drain whatever excess water remains from the corn. Remove the onion from the pan when it is lightly browned.
- Combine the beets, corn, and onion, and add olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Mix well with a spoon.
- Refrigerate and enjoy when cooled
Leave a Reply