Happy 4th of July! I wasn’t planning on writing a blog post today but I whipped up these amazing brownies to bring to a barbecue and I had to share. If you’re looking for an easy, quick dessert to bring to a gathering, try these delectable bites of bliss. This recipe requires having a few very ripe bananas (like the stage before they turn brown) on hand. If you don’t have bananas, try an equal amount of apple sauce or dairy-free yogurt.
Last Minute Banana Chocolate Chip Brownies
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I always use whole grain flour for extra fiber in my baked goods, but if you don’t have it, all-purpose flour will also work)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use trader joe’s brand)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or soy milk
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil or almond oil (or you can use vegetable or canola oil if you have those instead)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups vegan chocolate chips (I use trader joe’s dark chocolate chips which happen to be vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, measure and mix all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder)
- In another bowl, measure and mix wet ingredients (maple syrup/agave, mashed bananas, almond/soy milk, vanilla extract, oil).
- Mix the wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients. Add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Spray a 9×12 baking pan with non-stick spray, pour batter into the pan, and bake for 30 minutes
- Allow to cool and then cut and share with family and friends!
Enjoy these chocolatey treats and have a great 4th of July!