Fall is almost here but I’m relishing these last days of summer. This summer, my favorite breakfast/snack/dessert was banana ice cream. At this point, if you follow any vegan instagram accounts, I’m sure you’ve heard of banana ice cream (also called “nice cream”.) This delicious frozen treat is made by freezing a few bananas and then blending the frozen ‘nanas with a little liquid (almond milk, coconut water, water, etc.) in a food processor.
I’m obsessed with eating banana ice cream for breakfast and trying different variations. I love how simple it is to whip up a bowl of nice cream and I love how healthy and filling it is. The trick is to only use a few bananas (you don’t need to eat 10 bananas at a time contrary to what fad diets might say) and and 3/4-1 cup. of another frozen fruit (if you want more flavor than just banana). For toppings, I like using a sprinkle of oats or granola, cacao nibs, chocolate chips, or a table spoon of peanut or almond butter. You can also add protein powder into the food processor if you’re looking for a post-workout meal or snack.
I’m sharing the nice cream creation I made this morning below. What is your favorite way to eat nice cream? If you’re looking for some ideas on how to make this deliciously healthy meal, be sure to follow me on instagram @vitaminvalentine for more nice cream recipes and daily food inspiration 🙂
Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream
- 2 frozen peeled bananas (I usually just break the bananas into 2-3 pieces each before freezing)
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (100% cocoa powder is usually vegan. I buy this at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup whole-grain cereal
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. vegan chocolate chips (I buy these at Trader Joe’s)
- Blend frozen bananas, coconut water, and unsweetened cocoa powder together until creamy (about ~3 minutes).
- Scoop out nice cream and transfer to a bowl.
- Top with cereal, peanut butter, and chocolate chips
- Enjoy and eat up, this can melt fast in warm weather!