If you're wondering about the title of this post, let me explain. I created this recipe while being awake at 6 AM which is just a few minutes past sunrise where I am, and thinking about how I really wanted a brownie. As a nutrition enthusiast, I realize brownies are not an ideal breakfast food, but a girl can dream and dreaming leads to creating. Make no mistake, these definitely aren't a health food, but using whole grain spelt flour adds a bit of fiber. These brownies aren't super chocolatey, so feel free to add chocolate chips or something else to add more flavor.
- 1 and ¾ cups of whole grain spelt flour or other whole grain flour of your choice (use brown rice flour to make this gluten free)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 7 tbsp. cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup dark agave nectar
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- ½ cup earth balance vegan spread
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Measure dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder) and mix together in a large bowl.
- Melt the earth balance spread, measure apple sauce, agave nectar, vanilla extract, and unsweetened soy milk and combine in a bowl. Mix with a whisk or spoon.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Grease a brownie pan and using a spoon, transfer the brownie mixture to the pan, spreading with the spoon if necessary.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 27 minutes (figure 25-30 minutes is ideal, check with a toothpick for readiness).
- After baking, allow to cool, cut the brownies, and enjoy (in moderation!)
Leave a Reply